Current City Council:
- Ryan Gabbard – Precinct 1
- Joe Smith – President, Precinct 2
- Staci Mullins – Precinct 3
- Trevor McIntosh- At Large
- Brandon White – At Large
City Council Duties and Responsibilities:
Members of the city council are part-time elected officials who serve for four years and can run for re-election as often as they wish. As a legislative body, the council exercises many of the powers given cities through the passage of ordinances and appropriation of money. The following is a list of what the council may do and requirements one must meet to be a city council person:
- Authority to fix the annual salaries of all elected officials
- Authority to fix annually the salaries of members of the police and fire departments.
- Authority to reduce, but not to increase, any other items in the city budget as submitted by the mayor for its approval.
- If elected to a district he or she must have been a resident of that district for at least six months and a resident of the city for at least one year
- If he or she moves from the district or from the city, the person forfeits the office
The council also has the power to form committees, either standing or special, to aid them in the completion of their work. Standing committees are permanent committees, set up at the beginning of the term of office, and to which are referred all matters relating to specific subjects. Special committees are temporary and are set up to handle a special subject and are discharged when the issue is settled. The council issues resolutions and ordinances.